I’ve never been one for card games…until Blizzard made it fun. Hearthstone is currently in open beta, and I am loving every minute playing it at the moment. You choose a class, can customise your deck and do battle with other players online, or just play around in practice mode.
You both start with 30 health and 3 cards, cards cost mana to play, which builds up with each turn. At it’s heart it’s a strategy game, one which is easy to learn, but very tough to master, as the luck of the draw will always be a factor. I’ve come back from 4 health to win a game, and lost miserably due to silly mistakes. The first few games I played, I lost, all 4 of them, but something keeps me going back for one more go. Here’s my thoughts so far.
Things I love so far;
- The range of classes on offer is excellent and caters for lots of different styles of gameplay.
- The battle animations themselves are top notch, spells come with majestic twinkly noises, and hits from minions break up the board and particles fly up from the cards.
- There is an excellent social aspect already, with a friends list, and easy to use chat features.
- Play options on offer…you can practice, play online against others, or if you have extra time, battle it out in several arena matches for prizes.
- Creating custom decks is simple to do.
Things that need a little work to make me happy;
- First on my list would be a way to swap/trade cards with other players, even just people on my friends list would be great.
- The cost of entering the arena is 150 coins…sure these can be earned in game…but that’s not cheap!
- Having to unlock all the classes at the start can be a lengthy process.
The game looks great, the music accompanies well, and each battle is unique depending on your class, deck and opponent. It’s a deep and tactical game, that’s also fun and easy to jump into…Blizzard, I tip my hat to you on this one.
You can download Hearthstone and play for free by clicking here. I play mainly as Rogue but also as Priest or Hunter, and my battlenet ID is Astrocyte#2419.
Tags: blizzard, cardgame, hearthstone, pc, pcgaming, preview