I have not done an exploits/tips/guide post in ages…so rather than a top 3 tips, I’m doing 10 for you all, for Animal Crossing New Leaf.
1) Use your spade (purchased from the Nook Brothers store) to hit rocks, each day one rock in your town will contain Bells, and another breakable rock is added containing a gem. (Gems can be used to make customisable furniture in Re-Tail or sold for bells.)
2) Donate everything new you find/dig/catch to the museum. If you make sure to donate every new species as you catch it, it’ll avoid annoying moments a year from now, where you’re comparing the museum exhibit list with your encyclopedia to figure out what still needs to be donated. You can also unlock special tools and house designs if you donate a certain number of creatures.
3) Get a chest of drawers/closet of some kind in your house. A closet can hold up to 180 extra items, making it easy to store different outfits, extra furniture, or keep a hold of items you want to sell temporarily if Re-Tail is closed. Your closet is also linked to other storage lockers in the town, such as the one in your train station.
4) Look out for Gulliver. Gulliver washes up on your beach shore occasionally, and if you guess where he was headed before he fell overboard, he will send you a trinket from his travels.
5) Write and send gifts to your neighbours...even sending them fruit often prompts them to send a gift with their reply which can often be furniture, or a new t-shirt.
6) Shake trees for bells and random furniture drops, as well as fruit to sell at Re-Tail, (Re-Tail buys things for more bells than the Nooks do) and when visiting a friend, get permission to take some of their fruit from their tress back with you to your town, and bury it in a clearing to grow different fruit trees. (Non town native fruit sells for many more bells in the shops.) Also! You can stack fruit into groups of nine. Just drag identical pieces of fruit on top of each other in your inventory.
7) Head to the island via the boat moored at your jetty at your beach, for fun mini games that earn you spendable medals, and to stock up on rare fish, bugs and fruits.
8) Read the sign outside Re-Tail. It lists items that are worth a premium on that day. If they’re easier to find, go find them and sell them, sometimes this is as easy as picking up a particular type of shell on the beach.
9) Your first public works project should be a bridge. This will help you traverse your town more quickly as it adds an additional route across the river.
10) You can use the D-pad on the 3DS to quickly change tools. By pressing left and right, you can cycle through your equipment. Hit the down arrow to unequip your current item.
Please share your hints and tips in the comments section below